The earliest known record of St Laurence’s is in 1100 A.D when Robert of Essex, the founder of Prittlewell Priory, granted to the priory the church of Eastwood and Sutton, although we do know the church is much older than that. Eastwood is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. Through the centuries, Eastwood has developed from a woodland to an agricultural parish and finally to the town we know today. During the 13th-16th centuries Eastwood was used for hunting by several English kings.
The development of the church spans many centuries. The nave is thought to be the original Norman church, it dates from the 12th century. The south aisle was added in the 13th century and the north aisle in the 14th. The chancel is 13th century with a 14th century roof. The nave roof is 15th century. The brick south porch is Tudor and was added in the 16th century.
In the 1870s there was extensive refurbishment within the church when it was restored by William White. The broach spire was restored in the late 20th century. Today, St Laurence is protected as a Grade 1 listed building.